Roulette has a history stretching back to the 18th century and is one of the most popular casino games. Modern players use a variety of strategies when playing online and mobile roulette.
A good roulette strategy will not only help you learn the rules of roulette; it will also increase your chances of winning big!
What is a roulette strategy?
Betting systems are used by experienced gamblers as a way of managing their funds and increasing their possible winnings. Most roulette strategies are progressive, and a player will increase their bet each time they win.
Strategies can enhance jackpots, but won’t give you an edge over the casino and can’t affect the outcome of a spin.
The best roulette betting systems
Over the years, roulette aficionados have devised many different strategies to help them maximise their winnings. While no betting system is going to influence the odds, it can be beneficial to have a good strategy in place when playing roulette.
What the best roulette strategy is for any given player greatly depends on their personality. You can have a safe and slow system, or a faster, riskier strategy.
Roulette may seem like a simple game, but it has many betting options which can be confusing for new players.
If you want a roulette strategy to win, this means making your bets in an organised and disciplined way, rather than just randomly choosing what amounts to bet and what numbers to play.
While winning is not guaranteed, you can use these roulette tips to increase your chances of walking away from the game with more money than you started with.
Before we get into the details of some of the more popular betting systems, there are a few general tips players should adhere to when playing roulette.
First, it is better to play the European or French versions of roulette rather than the American version, as the odds in these games are better for the player. Make a budget and be sure you stick to it! Don’t bet past your predetermined ceiling amount.
Players should never chase their losses – if you’re on a losing streak, stop.
Following this advice is the best way to enjoy any roulette betting strategy.
The Hawks’ method: one of the most effective
The first roulette strategy that we will look at is the Hawks method, also known as the Roulette De Hawks method.
The Hawks method is a relatively easy strategy and a good one for newcomers to the game.
In roulette, players can choose a simple bet of red or black. Let’s say you choose to bet on red. If the ball lands on a red number, you win! If the ball lands on a black number, then the Hawks method instructs the player to double the amount of their bet.
Eventually, a red number will come up, and you will have sizeable winnings to collect that will make up for your losses in one hit.
There are, however, flaws with this strategy. The Hawks method is quite risky, and players may be wiped out early. Also, many casinos disallow it and will ban you if they catch you.
The Piquemouche: a lower risk roulette betting system
Another popular roulette strategy is the Piquemouche. This is a type of ‘martingale’ or progressive strategy, much like the Hawks method, but is a much slower and less risky betting system.
The Piquemouche requires a player to make simple bets (such as black, red, even, odd) and simply double their stake after every three consecutive losses. If a player wins, then they would keep the bet flat until the next loss.
This method allows you to play effectively with a smaller bankroll and helps to manage losing streaks. Because your profits won’t accrue as quickly as with the Hawks method, you can enjoy playing the game with less risk.
However, the Piquemouche method also means you won’t cover all your losses in one bet, so you will need more wins to break even or come out ahead.
Remember, the longer you are at the table, the more chance the house has to use its edge against you.
The d’Alembert system: the most widely used
By far the most popular roulette strategy is the d’Alembert system. It is a great way to enjoy the game of roulette without worrying about having to make big wins to cover your losses.
The strategy is named for its creator, Jean Le Rond D’Alembert, an 18th-century French mathematician.
Firstly, you will need to choose your stake base. To make it easy, let’s say that is £1. Every time you win, you decrease your stake by one. Every time you lose, you increase it by one. Bet £1 and if you lose, your next bet is £2. If you win on that bet, you decrease the next bet and go back to £1.
Once your winning rounds equate to your losing rounds, then theoretically your net profit should be the base stake multiplied by your winning rounds.
The d’Alembert method is low risk and can help keep losses under control. However, this also means you will not win any really high amounts.
- American roulette: Tips and games
- European roulette game selection and rules
- French roulette, rules and game selection
- How to play online roulette?
- Live Roulette, with dealer filmed inside a real casino
- Roulette odds explanation
- Best UK online casinos to play roulette
- History of casino Roulette game
- Know all Roulette strategies to be a professional
- 5 Roulette strategy books you need to read
- Roulette tips to play better at this game
- Roulette Strategy: Fact vs Fiction
- How to play roulette strategies?
- Some of the most popular roulette strategies are simple systems that are based on increasing or decreasing your bets depending on if you win or lose. They are easy to use as long as you keep track of your bets. keyboard_arrow_right
- What is the best roulette strategy?
- Any roulette strategy can be thought of as the 'best' or as the 'worst'. The ‘best’ strategy depends on your own personal taste for how much risk you enjoy while playing. keyboard_arrow_right
- Do roulette strategies work?
- Let’s be real: there is no 100% effective roulette strategy. Roulette is a game based on chance, so once that wheel starts to spin, there is no way anyone or any type of betting system can accurately predict the outcome. keyboard_arrow_right
- Why don't most roulette strategies work?
- In any type of roulette game, in any casino, the house always has the edge when it comes to the odds. Also, many players stop keeping track of their bets and fail to adhere to the limits of their system.