Roulette is played by dropping a ball onto a revolving wheel that has several numbered compartments. Players have to bet on the compartment in which the ball will stop. You can place bets on individual numbers, number combinations, red or black colours or even whether a particular number is even or odd.
There are two kinds of bets: Outside and Inside, we will talk about them later. Chance plays a very important role in a casino as well as in mobile roulette.
There are several kinds of odds that you can use in your game. Deploy these odds according to the variation of the game. Your roulette odds payout will depend upon your gambling strategy.
Calculate the odds
Your odds of winning roulette depend upon the variant you are playing, American or European.
To calculate your roulette table odds, divide the number 36 by the number of squares your wager covers. Next, reduce from the resultant to get your payout odds. For instance, in a 3 numbers bet, divide 36 by 3, and then subtract 1 from the result. Your payout rate, in this case, is now 11 to 1.
This means that if you wager £1, you can get £10 and your payout is 10+1=£11. In any betting chart, there are three columns – Bet Name, Player Odds, and Potential Payout.
Player Odds in the European version are slightly different from the American one. A Dozen has a potential payout of 2:1. Even bets have a payout of 1:1 (48.6% in European and 47.4% in the American version).
There are other Bet Names too, such as Single Number, Two Numbers, Three Numbers, Column, Six Numbers. Five Numbers, and Four Numbers.
What are roulette odds?
When you hit a single number with a straight-up hit, your roulette wheel odds are 37 to 1. This is because the wheel has 38 numbers in the (1 to 36, 0 and 00). Note that the house awards you only on 35 to 1 (winning bets).
These odds also apply on combination bets. Roulette odds explained in detail in the next few paragraphs.
There are two kinds of bets that you can place on roulette: Outside Bets and Inside Bets. These names are derived from the roulette layout. An Outside bet comprises odd or even numbers, black or red colours or numbers occurring between 1-18 or 19-36.
According to several statistics, the best roulette odds are these Outside bets as nearly half the outcomes in a game come from these bets. Since wins come pretty regularly, your payouts would be quite moderate – 1:1.
However, there are some outside bets that have better payouts. Column and Dozen odds on roulette payout are in the ratio of 2:1. These odds cover 12 on the wheel.
There are a few other Outside bets that you should consider: Black or Red – the payout ratio is 1:1 if the ball lands on the colour you select.
An Odd or Even bet pays you an even bet (1:1) if the ball falls on the number you pick up (which can be odd or even).
For Low and High Bets, there will be an even payout as well, 1:1. Low bets are when the ball falls anywhere between 1-18 and High when it falls between 19 and 36.
In a Column Bet, your payout shall be 2:1. This happens when the ball falls on any of the numbers that you select.
Finally, in a Dozen Bet, your payout will be 2:1 when the ball falls on the first dozen, second dozen or the third dozen, (1-12), (13-24), and (25-36), respectively.
Please note that all the numbers on the roulette table are arranged in 3 columns, each column having one dozen numbers.
Inside bets are laid on specific numbers or combinations of numbers on the inner side of the roulette table.
Compared to Outside bets, your payouts on Inside bets are higher but the roulette chances of winning are lower. Some examples of Inside Bets are Straight-up or Single-number bets.
Here, you are wagering on one of any 2 numbers. The payout is 35:1 which means you get £36 when you wager £1. However, your winning chance is 2.7% in European Roulette and 2.6% in the American version.
In Split, your payout goes down to 17:1 while the winning percentage ranges between 5.4% to 5.3% in both the versions. Split betting involves laying bets on two adjacent numbers.
In Street, you are laying bets on three consecutive numbers. The payout here is 11:1 while winning chances are 8.1% in European roulette and 7.9% in the American version.
In a Square or Corner or Quartet Bet, you are laying bets on the 4 numbers that make up the corners of the roulette table. Payout is 8:1. Winning chances are 10.5% in the American roulette and 10.8% in the European variant.
Basket roulette is not present in European roulette. Here you are laying bets on any 5 numbers such as 0, 00, 1,2, and 3. Payout is 6:1 while the winning chances are 13.2%.
Line bets have the highest chances of winning; in American roulette, the percentage is 15.8% while in its European version, the percentage is 16.2%. The payout here is 5:1 and in this Inside bet, you need to lay bets on two adjacent rows in the roulette table.
- American roulette: Tips and games
- European roulette game selection and rules
- French roulette, rules and game selection
- How to play online roulette?
- Live Roulette, with dealer filmed inside a real casino
- Roulette odds explanation
- Best UK online casinos to play roulette
- History of casino Roulette game
- Know all Roulette strategies to be a professional
- 5 Roulette strategy books you need to read
- Roulette tips to play better at this game
- Roulette Strategy: Fact vs Fiction
- What are the best odds in roulette?
- The best roulette odds are Column, Dozen, High/Low, Odd/Even, and Black/Red. The odds of winning range from 48.6% (Low/High, Red/ Black) to 32.4% in Column and Dozen. These percentages are for European roulette and change in the American version. keyboard_arrow_right
- Does roulette offer good odds to players?
- While the definition of a 'good odd' may vary from one player to another, roulette does offer attractive odds to the players. Players can hope to win more by laying Outside bets. keyboard_arrow_right
- What's the best bet at roulette according to the odds?
- The Low/ High and the Red/Black bets offer the highest odds in roulette. The chances of winning in European roulette are 48.6%. In the American version, the chances are 47.4%. Please note, the payouts are smaller here. keyboard_arrow_right
- What are the odds on 0 in roulette?
- In roulette, the odds of hitting a zero are very low, 2.7%. However, the payout is very high - 35:1. In the American version, these odds are 2.6%. This is because of the presence of the double 0 slot. keyboard_arrow_right
- What are the odds on green in roulette?
- The odds of hitting a single green in European roulette is 36/1. However, these odds go down to 37/1 in the American version. The chances of hitting a single green in the former version are higher.