Safer Gambling: our Ladylucks Guide to Responsible Gambling
Responsible gambling is key when it comes to enjoying your time at an online casino. As Safer Gambling Week 2023 unfolds in the UK, we want to take the opportunity to explore practical strategies for online gamblers to enjoy secure and fun betting and online casino experiences.
- 1 Responsible Gambling: a priority for industry leaders
- 2 What does it really mean to gamble responsibly?
- 3 Gambling Support: Where to Turn for Help
Responsible Gambling: a priority for industry leaders
What is SGWeek? Safer Gambling Week is an annual initiative uniting the UK and Irish licensed across the gambling industry. It is a collaborative effort including bookmakers, casinos, and online operators, along with support from charities and stakeholders. The week is about raising awareness and starting conversations about safer gambling through visible campaigns in venues, online platforms, and media coverage. It is organised by leading national charities, notably GamCare and YGAM and backed by UK & Northern Ireland industry regulator the UK Gambling Commission, which is committed to reducing the risk of problem gambling and harms, with a focus on empowering players through various tools and initiatives such as the Safer Gambling Week.
This year SG Week is taking place from November 13 to 19, but though the conversation around having more responsible gambling practices is sparked around this time, it should be a concern all year round. As the first mobile casino in the UK and now a major source of information and reviews for British online casino players, our Ladylucks team are committed to promoting responsible gambling for the keen online casino games players who read our casino reviews and casino games reviews.
What’s the big deal with responsible gambling?
There’s many reasons why responsible gambling is so important, but it all comes down to one main thing: making sure you, as the player, have an enjoyable experience at an online casino. Why wouldn’t this be the case then?
Gambling, like any form of entertainment involving risk, may not always be safe for several reasons:
- Risk of Addiction: One of the primary concerns is the risk of addiction. Some individuals may find it challenging to control their gambling habits, leading to excessive betting and financial consequences. Gambling addiction, also known as gambling disorder, is recognized as a behavioral addiction and can have severe impacts on mental health and personal finances.
- Financial Consequences: Uncontrolled gambling can result in significant financial losses. When individuals chase losses or gamble beyond their means, it can lead to financial strain, debt, and other negative financial consequences.
- Emotional Impact: Gambling outcomes are inherently uncertain, and losses can evoke strong emotional responses. This emotional rollercoaster, especially in the case of substantial losses, may lead to stress, anxiety, and even depression.
- Impact on Relationships: Excessive gambling can strain relationships with family and friends. Financial strain and emotional distress may contribute to conflicts and breakdowns in personal connections.
- Lack of Regulation: In some cases, the lack of stringent regulations or oversight in certain gambling environments, particularly online, can expose individuals to unscrupulous practices. This may include unfair gaming practices, delayed payouts, or even fraudulent platforms.
- Vulnerability of Certain Groups: Certain demographic groups, such as individuals with pre-existing mental health conditions, young adults, and those facing financial difficulties, may be more vulnerable to the negative impacts of gambling.
- Availability and Accessibility: The widespread availability and easy accessibility of gambling, especially with the rise of online platforms and mobile apps, can make it challenging for individuals to control or limit their gambling activities.
- Social Stigma: Despite efforts to reduce the stigma associated with gambling issues, there is still societal judgment around seeking help for gambling-related problems. This can deter individuals from acknowledging and addressing their struggles.
It’s important to recognise that while gambling can be a form of entertainment for many, there are potential risks involved. This isn’t of course unique to gambling, many activities that are fun can also be partly dangerous if pushed to extremes or conducted unsafely. Ultimately, it’s important to keep in mind as an online casino player that:
- There are ways to reduce the risks of online gambling
- If you feel your gambling habits have become problematic, there are solutions to put in place and support systems available.
At all stages of your gambling journey, you will be able to seek help and implement responsible gambling practices. Stay informed, and don’t hesitate to get help. Responsible gambling involves setting limits, being aware of one’s behavior, and seeking support when needed.
What does it really mean to gamble responsibly?
Playing online casino responsibly means playing smart and playing safe.
Play smart, how?
- Educate yourself: stay informed on best practices and the online casino industry, and know the terminology around different casino games.
- Use tools: AI tools such as ChatGPT, online apps like live casino trackers make, and betting tips can help you make more informed betting decisions.
- Read resources: casino and game reviews will tell you what to expect from a game and casino site in terms of safety, potential gains and other information.
- Read the fine print: our reviews help you decode the terms of different casino bonuses
Best Practices for Safe Gambling: Simple steps checklist
- Set Limits: Establish clear time and monetary limits before you start playing. This simple practice ensures you stay within your budget.
- How to set limits:
- Time limits: on screen notifications
- Time limits: set a timer
- Money limits: decide on a weekly budget
- Money limits: don’t gamble more than you can afford.
- How to set limits:
- Play at a fair casino and understand its terms & conditions: Avoid frustration and the danger of playing at an unregulated casino which might be trying to scam you. However, even licensed casinos have terms and conditions when it comes to their bonuses and promotions. Though a welcome bonus might be attractive to start you playing at an online casino, at Ladylucks we run you through the conditions such as wagering requirements of a bonus so you understand the potential for financial gain and risk involved when playing at that casino.
- Know the Games: Understand the rules and odds of the games you play. Knowledge is a powerful tool for making informed decisions, which is sites such as ours at Ladylucks are dedicated to providing up to date and accurate online casino games reviews to explain how a game works and what you can expect. For example, do you know what RTP is, and how slots volatility is calculated?
- Avoid Chasing Losses: Resist the urge to chase losses by making impulsive bets. Stick to your pre-set limits to maintain control.
- Stay Emotionally Balanced: Only gamble when you’re in a positive emotional state. Avoid playing if you’re upset, angry, or stressed, as it can cloud your judgment and will make you more vulnerable to damaging gambling practices.
- Take Breaks: Schedule regular breaks to avoid prolonged sessions. This helps maintain focus and prevents impulsive decisions, and also ensures that you’re always having fun when playing.
Keep gambling fun!
In 1 word, gambling should be FUN, and fun only. Of course, having money at stake is what makes a game more exciting, the chance that, if luck is on your side, you might make some cash is part of the thrill. But though you might win somes days, playing at an online casino should not be seen as a way to make money. Playing at an online casino should first and foremost be a way to play fun games!
Gambling Support: Where to Turn for Help
In the UK, there are 3 main organisations to help you with gambling and gambling addiction related issues. Depending on what you need, whether it’s information, resources to explore on your own, or someone to talk, there is always help available.
Different support organisations and how to reach them
A charity that organises events, provides resources on their site, and gives expert advice.
A national institution to give information and practical tools to help gamblers manage their gambling habits.
National Gambling Helpline
A phone line you can call to get immediate assistance and talk to someone about addiction and gambling related issues.
|Organisation||What help they provide||Where to contact them|
|GamCare||– resources to help you stay in control of your gambling habits|
– expert advice
– confidential counseling
|Gamble Aware||– information|
– practical tools to assess and manage your gambling activities
|National Gambling Helpline||– Available 24/7 for immediate assistance & guidance|
– Free and confidential support on the phone
| 0808 8020 133 |
*If you are not comfortable with English, let them know and they will connect you to the LanguageLine
If you are outside the UK, you can contact Gambling Therapy.
Available gambling support by contact type
|Free call||0808 8020 133|
|Whatsapp (chat or call)||+44 20 3031 8881|
|Facebook messenger||GamCare Facebook|
|Chatroom||Speak to others in similar situations: info here|
How do you calculate for addiction? Read out in depth guide on addiction indicators and how to calculate for addiction.
Conclusion: A Safer & More Responsible Gambling Pledge
As we navigate Safer Gambling Week, let’s commit to simple yet powerful practices for responsible play. By staying informed, setting limits, and seeking support when needed, we ensure that our gambling experience remains fun, controlled, and safe. Remember, responsible gambling is a journey, and each small step contributes to a safer and more enjoyable gaming environment.